Password safe (KeePass)
Are you also getting sick of remembering all those passwords? Do you often use the same passwords to remember them well (which is less secure)? This problem is solved with this password safe or password manager. You only have to remember one password, the safe then enters the correct password on the sites.
1. Download KeePass 2.45.
2. Click in folder 'Downloads' on the file 'KeePass-2.45-setup.exe'.
3. Install KeePass on your computer.
4. Create a new password vault (database).
( Safe the file on a location where you can easily find it yourself )
5. Now you have to make up one master password.
( This password is the only one you need to remember well )
6. When you have done that, click 'OK'.
7. Now click on 'OK' again.
8. You can print the data and store it somewhere safe in case you forget the password.
9. You are now ready to use the password vault.
Store a password in the safe.
You can organize it super well, save it in a specific folder and safe it all to your own liking.
1. You will see a number of folders where you can store a password.
2. By clicking with the right mouse button you can get a menu with a number of options.
3. If you want to save a password for expample for a website (Facebook). Click on the 'Internet' folder.
4. Click on the left mouse button in the right pane.
5. There you can click on 'Add Entry' in the drop-down menu.
6. You will see a new screen. Click on 'Title'.
7. Type in 'Facebook' or another desired title.
8. Type your username, for example for Facebook, at 'User name'.
9. Click on the key to the right of the dotted bar under 'Repeat'
10. Click on option 'Hex Key - 128-Bit (Built-in)'.
11. Now at 'Password' double click on you newly created password and click on copy.
12. Now you need to go to Facebook for example and change the password you now use for Facebook to the password of your password vault.
13. If successful, you can copy the link from the Facebook login screen and paste it into the password vault under 'URL'.
14. Now click on 'OK'.
Now you are all set and have a good safe for all the passwords you have. It is best to use a new unique password for each function/site. When copying the desired password to use it at the right site to log in, you have 12 seconds to paste the password in the right place. This is basically the way KeePass and other password managers work.
Use the passwords on multiple computers and/or phones via Dropbox.
You can also use the password vault on multiple computers by saving the password vault in Dropbox. The condition is that the password of Dropbox at least also has a very strong and unique password, which also does not have the same password that is used within KeePass itself and the KeePass file itself. This to ensure the file with all passwords does not end up in the wrong hands. Follow the next steps to use the password vault through Dropbox.
1. Click on 'File'.
2. Click on 'Save As'.
3. Safe to the Dropbox folder.
Dropbox will do the rest.